Common IT issues and solutions:
My computer won’t turn on but my screen will?
- Check that the monitor cable is connected securely (Unplug/re-plug)
- Make sure your monitor is switched on and there is power to your computer
- Have you tried turning it on and off again?
(Hold your power button down for 30 seconds to ensure it shuts down and restarts properly)
My computer is so slow.
Your computer can run slow and lag for many reasons.
- You may have too many applications or website tabs open at once. Make sure you have enough storage left on your drives, this plays a major role in the functionality of your PC.
- Make sure you have one antivirus programme installed.
- Try to restart your computer daily, this makes sure all background applications are closed.
My computer keeps freezing, shutting down or restarting.
- Usually, this is a software problem, take a look at your software updates or your antivirus programme. You can run back any updates that may have occurred.
- Run a virus scan and check for Windows Updates or application updates. Keep your machine up to date.
My downloads are taking too long.
- This could be a hardware problem or your internet connection might be too slow or faulty.
Make sure your Ethernet cable is secure if your machine is networked.
- Make sure you have enough storage and that your hard disk is fully functional.
- Restart your router (Leave it off for 10 seconds) and restart your computer.
My computer keeps showing popups.
- You may have accidentally installed a program that has something called “Adware”. This allows for unwanted ads to pop up.
- Run a virus scan.
- Go to your web browsers settings and look for any suspicious-looking add-ons and disable them.
My Wi-Fi is slow or keeps disconnecting.
- Make sure you are in range of your Wi-Fi router. If you see the signal on your device is only showing 1 or 2 bars, then your signal is weak, this can cause speed issues or cause your machine to disconnect.
- If you have a dual-band router, use the 2.4g Wi-Fi connection if you are further away or the 5g connection, when you are closer to the router.
- You may consider adding a range extender or a 2nd router to your network.
If none of these solutions has helped or worked, then give us a call. If your business is in the Cape Town area, we can send a support technician to resolve your IT problems or we offer remote support.